Welcome to A Chile Adventure!
In early March 2011, I will be embarking on an epic adventure to work in Chile for four months with a fabulous group of Christians and the organisation Latin Link. The plan is to keep all you guys updated with my progressing in raising money to get there and all that I get up to while I'm out there!
Please keep me, the guys and girls I'm travelling with and the people we will be working with in your prayers and please donate if you can!

Friday 13 May 2011

Second Project...

After a couple of days back in Temuco, we pack everything up and moved into our new project. We{re now living in a two storey massive house which a little old german lady called Ruth. It was quite an emotional goodbye to Pastor Ezekiel but we´re still able to stay in contact with him because we´re in the same city, so that´s quite cool. We´ve got a really big kitchen with an oven and a fridge - ohh its like luxury! lol!

This project is very heavlity involved in a local school, about 20 minutes walk away. We´re gonna be working there everyday, either in classes in the morning or in workshops in the afternoon. The kids at the school are from really rough backgrounds and basically have no discipline and their parents don´t really care about them or what they do. A lot of the kids are from broken families often with one of the parents being in prison. The kids live lives of stealing and drug taken even from such a young age. We´ve been warned not to take anything valuable to the school - so I dunno how many picture I´ll have from this project! But even to the extent of watching your jumper if you put it down, coz it might not be there when you turn around again!

So this wekk we´ve started with this! We´ve been to the school everyday, except today, working in the classrooms and getting to know the kids. Yesterday we spent the day demolishing a wood shed and prepping the ground for a new one which we´re gonna hopefully put up tomorrow. It´s a very different way of building here, pretty much, cut it if it doesn´t fit, add another bit, bang a flip load of nails in and hope it holds! So we´re trying to make a bit more of a sturdy structure with good foundations! I´ll let you know how it goes!

I´ve also been thrown in the deep end already, with the head teacher (directora) coming and asking for one person to help her... so I went.... She took me into a class and introduced me to the kids and said that I was there to have conversation with them and that they could ask me whatever they liked. And then she turned to me and said "okay, you´re the teacher!" and left me in the room on my own with 12 chilean kids! LOL! That was a fun hour! But it was deffo good practice for my language!

Yeah, so that´s the project we´re on at the moment, and I think it´s deffo gonna be busy. But it´s awesome that we´re in the same school the whole time so that we´re gonna be able to make a really impact on these kids lives and the school as well.

And we´re all having to get up earlier and getting used to sharing a house with someone else, but it´s all good! And having a oven is BRILLANT! Made cottage pie on Tuesday and it was flippin lush! Mmmmmm hmmmm... speaking of food... I should get some!

Will write again soon :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment